Summary of the Job
The Director is responsible for oversight, organization and coordination of all functions and goals of the school’s library facilities, services and resources. The director’s primary mission is to work with teachers and students to support them with the resources and skills required for their learning activities.
Essential duties of the Job
- Collaborates with a large group of diverse members of the learning community to encourage learners to be independent, lifelong users and producers of ideas and information.
- Gives leadership in promoting reading as a foundational skill for learning, personal growth, and enjoyment.
- In collaboration with classroom teachers, provides instruction that addresses various types of literacies, including information literacy, media literacy, visual literacy, and technology literacy.
- In collaboration with classroom teachers, models and teaches an inquiry-based approach to learning and the information search process.
- Reviews library resources and services to ensure they support school programs and student learning.
- Creates, maintains and follows a long-term strategic plan that reflects the mission, goals and objectives of the school.
- Manages staff and volunteers to meet the needs of the instructional program based on the services offered, facilities, size, and number of patrons.
- Ensures and promotes flexible and equitable access to physical and virtual collections of resources that support the school curriculum and meet the diverse needs of all learners.
- Advocates for sufficient funding to support priorities and make steady progress to attain the library’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Upholds and advocates for policies, procedures, and guidelines that support equitable access to ideas and information throughout the school community.
- Develops a strong collection of books, periodicals, and non-print materials in a variety of formats that support curricular topics and are suited to inquiry learning and users’ needs and interests.
- Employs an advocacy plan to build support from decision makers who affect the quality of the school library program.
- Participates in professional development in order to sustain and increase knowledge and skills.
- Models leadership and best practices for the school community.
- Maintain a library atmosphere that is conducive to learning.
- Oversee the cataloging and processing of new materials as well as the withdrawal of old materials.
- Annual budget planning and monthly oversight of finances for library resources and initiatives.
- B.A. degree or higher in Education.
- Masters (or the equivalent thereof) in Librarianship or Library Science or certification as a teacher librarian is preferred.
- Two years’ experience as a classroom teacher.
- Two years’ experience in a school library which includes supervisory experience.
- One year of administrative experience highly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an attitude of service to students and other patrons.
- Flexibility with regard to work routines, but also detail oriented
Teachers with training in Western educational systems interested in serving are encouraged to apply. All professional personnel work with a sponsoring missionary organization for financial compensation.